Since last June 7 that was presented macOS Monterey in partnership by Apple through the WWDC, we have not stopped talking about the news that this new operating system brings. I fully understand that feeling of reading but not being able to taste. It reminds me of the Al Pacino movie when he said: "Look but don't touch, touch but don't taste ...". If you want, we will explain how to install the macOS Monterey Beta. Of course, be careful and only follow the steps if you know what you are doing.
I want to indicate before starting that installing betas always carries a risk that some people can assume but most cannot. That is to say, that our Mac becomes obsolete because we have installed a Beta of an operating system that is still in its infancy, it is not a good idea and even less if it is done on main devices. So you just have to take responsibility. I tell you to wait for the official version to come out and I even tell you that when that happens, you expect even a little more. But if you are wanting to try the new functions, we explain how it is done.
If you want to see everything new in macOS Monterey like Universal Control, SharePlay FaceTime, the new Focus mode, the Shortcuts app, Live Text, the new Safari and more, you must follow this tutorial to the letter. You should keep reading everything, do not go directly to the point. Be patient.
The first thing and I repeat it, is that you are going to learn how to install the beta version for macOS Monterey developers. Beta version, that is, in tests. We know that Apple unveiled the next major version of macOS in its WWDC 21 keynote and made the developer beta available for testing on Mac. In the meantime, macOS 12 Monterey's first public beta will arrive in July.
Take that information into account. This beta is for developers only. And this other one too:
LThe universal control function is not available in the first beta version for macOS Monterey developers, but we look forward to it soon.
How to install macOS Monterey developer beta
Note that it's better to use a secondary Mac to install macOS Monterey beta, as performance and reliability issues are common. It is obvious, remember that in order to install the beta you must have a compatible Mac. You can know the complete list taking a look at this entry of ours.
If you are not yet registered as an Apple developer, you will have to do it here. On the contrary, you can wait for the public beta program free to launch in July. We go with the necessary steps to start enjoying the new version of the operating system:
- You have to make a new backup of your Mac. One of the benefits of macOS Monterey is the simplicity to erase everything without the need for drastic measures.
- From your Mac, go to developer website from Apple
- Click Account en the upper right corner and sign in if you haven't already
- Now click on the two line icon in the upper left corner, choose Downloads and make sure the "Operating Systems" tab is selected at the top
- Click on Install profile next to the beta version of macOS Monterey
- Go to your download folder and you should see the macOS beta login utility
- Double click on it To mount the utility disk image, now double click Access Utility.pkg to install the macOS beta profile on your Mac
- The System Preferences> Software Update window should start automatically with macOS 12 beta, click Update Now to download the update (almost 12 GB in size)
- When the download is complete, you will see a new window to install macOS Monterey, click Continue
- Follow the prompts to finish beta installation
You are already prepared to test and help Apple improve this version.
Please remember that it is a beta. Don't try it if you don't know where you're going to get into it.